I suggest you ...

Time on Battery

My suggestion is that you add the ability to display (only on request) how long the computer has been running on battery since the last charge. This feature would get me to pay for the program.

285 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AdminChris Thompson (Admin, Osiris Development) responded  · 

BatteryBar 3.6.2 and newer provide a time measurement of how long it’s been since the battery state changed. Since the power state can change while the computer is sleeping or turned off, it’s impossible to get a precise measurement.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • miklos2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The long name of this new feature would be: " Cumulative Elapsed Time since last end of charge, icluding computer sleeping", short name: CET.
        CET counter reset at start of charging, zero during charging time, then contains cumulative value of the "Elapsed time" parameter. The User decide that End of charge 100% or not.

• Z Kent Yousif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I'd like to throw my name in. I'd really like to know how many hours and minutes my device has been on battery and on since the last unplug. This would be similar to Screen On Time for Android devices. Last night I was using my device for over an hour, and then shut down. So then this morning when I turned it back on the timer started over again when it hadn't even been plugged in. I just bought this app recently because everyone raves about it. I'd like this program to have this very useful feature. It could just be a counter of time the screen has been on or the computer has been on since the last charge.
        Thanks! :)
        Awesome program ;)

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am disappointed that the current battery bar doesn't already have this feature. It would be nice to verify the performance of my new lap top maker who claims 12.5 hours usage per charge. You can merely start the usage clock when the computer is turned on. Turn the clock off when the computer is turned off. Sure there is some battery drain during sleep or when the computer is off, but an approximate actual running time per charge would be useful.

• Chris Close commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A issue with the current "Elapsed Time" counter, is that if you are off mains power, put the computer to standby, and plug in the charger, and then reverse the process, the "Elapsed Time" is not reset. I would have thought that the program would be able to detect the miraculous increase in charge percentage and assume that it was plugged in at some point, and reset the counter.

• QsterX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe the inquiry was the time spent running on batteries since the last full charge. Which can be quite useful, though a little messy if battery charges to full while off and is not full when powered back up.

Easiest is a graph of charge over time, since last time battery was recorded to be 100%, so the graph would have ups and downs potentially. But would give a very good picture of actual performance.

This feature really is mostly aimed at power users who are likely to be plugged/unplugged repeatedly throughout a period during which the battery level will not reach full capacity.

• V@no commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sure will pay for this feature as well.
        Having time on battery since last unplug showing on tooltip would be awesome.

I'm Andorid user and I miss so much this feature on laptop.

So if we had ability see history like on Android I would be willing pay double for each laptop we own.
        To give little more details how it works on Android, first let's see screenshot:
        http://i.imgur.com/KUw40TI.png

The battery run time calculated since last 40% (ish) increase during charge (if it was down to 20% at beginning of plugged in time then only after charging to 60% or above it resets the counter). So if you charge a few minutes during the day it pauses the counter during charging and continue once unplugged.

In addition to the battery run graph it also shows at which point data (3g), screen, wifi, gps was ON and for how long.

On laptop it could be tricky, I believe is possible to log at which point which power profile was used (I'd envision different color per profile), screen time, wifi, bluetooth times, as well as brightness level (also different color and/or height).

• denis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to propouse these. And it was already proposed..... Excellent!

• denis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea! That´s will make all difference in the program. I will wait for this!

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So how's it going? Are we about to see it implemented? The way you suggested for displaying runtime if not fully charged seems fine, maybe you could estimate a total runtime from the numbers.
        +1 on Moore54

• Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea. If this feature gets implemented, i will undoubtedly purchase this program.

• sv88088 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really do like this idea. more like how Chris explained.
        I think it is better to have a record stating the time between unplugging and plugging with the battery percentage.

• AdminChris Thompson (Admin, Osiris Development) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Question: Would this timer report the time since the last time the power cord was disconnected, regardless of the capacity level of the battery? For example, if you unplug it while it still has only 80% battery remaining (didn't fully charge), would that trigger the timer reset?

I could say something along the lines of "A/C was disconnected 1 hour 10 minutes ago. Battery had 80% remaining when A/C was disconnected" (obviously it would be more concise than that, but that's the general idea).

Feedback and Knowledge Base