I suggest you ...

Cycle charge state of battery to extend life.

New battery technology does not like to be fully charged or fully discharged. I spend a lot of time at my desk and during that time I would like to keep the battery cycling between two charge points ( 30-80%) to extend the battery life.

It would also be cool if you could throttle back the charge rate. My system runs cooler (charges slower) when I use my old 65W power brick vs. the 90W. When I have the time, I go for cooler. It too improves battery life.

You can learn more at batteryuniversity.com

George
Cleveland

92 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An alternate implementation that is much easier to do:

Give us two definable levels (start charge and stop charge) that we can set, which will send emails.

I can then use those emails to trigger IFTTT events, to turn on and off my wemo wall outlet my laptop is plugged into.

I do this with my phone to prevent killing the battery, and I'd love to do the same with my laptop which has an internal battery.

• tOM TrottiertOM Trottier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lithium batteries lose life when charged above ~50% (actually over 3.92v if that can be checked in ACPI), so if you are mainly using the laptop plugged in, with the battery serving as a UPS, your battery wears very fast.
        Ideally, you should also have a switch "Portable mode - always fully charge" you can use on trips, with the lower and higher settings settable in a "Desktop mode - limit charging to prolong service life of battery"
        There may be some interactions with power schemes, alas....
        See http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

tOM, Ottawa Canada

• alnonymousalnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what batteries are you guys using? i bought a cheap POS no name brand extended life battery off ebay and i must have charged and discharged it at least 500+ times in the last few years and very little capacity loss. My netbook computer is already 4 years old and it will be obsolete long before the battery craps out.

• rross100rross100 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice idea, but is this even possible? I've never seen an option to run from battery even though A/C is connected.

• czamboryczambory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About: Signal to reach the upper and lower values of charge.
        It is highly needed or even necessary to signal (or another reminder) when the battery reaches one of the boundary levels (for example, 30 and 80 percent) - fill or discharge. These values should be possible to determine in program on the settings tab.
        Informe me, please, when this possibilities would be available

• nintendomaniac64nintendomaniac64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got a new laptop battery and it would be great to be able to get a notification when the battery reaches 80% WHILE CHARGING.

Also a monthly notification to fully charge and drain the battery would be great (for battery sensor recalibration)

Add these features and you'll have a new customer.

• nintendomaniac64nintendomaniac64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this isn't possible, at the very least it'd be useful to have a notification when the battery has reached your custom set "maximum" charge level. This way you can unplug the AC adapter or remove the battery to prevent charging.

Feedback and Knowledge Base